Subway Surfers is an iconic endless-runner game that has captured the hearts of millions around the world. Since its inception in 2012, it has consistently ranked among the most popular mobile games, boasting over a billion downloads across various platforms. The game is not only limited to mobile devices but can also be played on PC, offering players the chance to experience the thrill of the chase on a larger screen.
The enduring appeal of Subway Surfers lies in its addictive gameplay, vibrant graphics, and engaging progression system. Players control a character who must sprint along train tracks, dodge obstacles, and escape the clutches of a determined inspector and his dog. What sets Subway Surfers apart is its global theme, with the game taking players to a new city with each update. Whether you’re a beginner looking to understand why Subway Surfers continues to captivate audiences or a pro aiming to increase your high score, this guide is for you.
How to Play Subway Surfers on PC
Playing Subway Surfers on a PC offers a unique experience that differs from its mobile counterpart. Even though the core gameplay remains unchanged, the transition to a larger screen and keyboard controls provides a fresh take on this beloved endless runner game.
The first thing you need to familiarize yourself with when playing Subway Surfers on PC are the controls. Unlike the swipe-based controls on mobile, the PC version employs keyboard keys to control your character’s movements.
- Jump: Press the up arrow key to make your character jump. This is crucial for avoiding obstacles and collecting coins and power-ups that are higher up.
- Slide: The down arrow key will make your character slide. This is used to pass under obstacles like barriers and trains.
- Moving left and right: To move your character between the three lanes, use the left and right arrow keys. Quick lane changes can help you collect more coins and dodge approaching obstacles.
- Activate hoverboards: Pressing the space bar will activate hoverboards. Hoverboards are important as they provide temporary immunity from crashes, giving you a second chance to continue your run.
Game Currencies, Bonuses, and Boosters
Subway Surfers features two types of currencies – coins and keys. Coins are the most common currency and can be collected during runs, while keys are rarer and can be obtained through in-game purchases or completing missions. These, along with a variety of bonuses and boosters, can help you achieve higher scores.
Coins are the most common currency in Subway Surfers. As you surf through the subway tracks, you’ll come across numerous gold coins that can be collected during runs. These coins can be used to purchase power-ups, new characters, and hoverboards from the shop, allowing you to customize your surfing experience and gain an edge in your runs.
Keys, on the other hand, are a rarer form of currency. They can be obtained through in-game purchases, by completing missions, or occasionally while running. Keys have a very important function – they can revive your character after a crash, allowing you to continue your run. Additionally, keys can unlock special items and exclusive characters that are not available through coins.
Bonuses and Boosters
In addition to coins and keys, Subway Surfers also features a range of bonuses and boosters that can help you maximize your score. These include:
- Score Multiplier: This bonus increases the number of points you earn while running. It’s a great way to quickly ramp up your score, especially during high-speed runs.
- 2X Multiplier: As the name suggests, this bonus doubles the score you get from collecting coins and performing stunts. Activate it to double your fun and your score!
- Jetpack: The Jetpack is a high-flying bonus that propels your character above the subway tracks, allowing you to fly over obstacles and collect coins with ease. It’s a brief respite from the usual chaos on the ground.
- Super Sneakers: Slip these on to make your character jump higher and run faster. Super Sneakers allow you to leap over obstacles that would otherwise be too high to jump over.
- Coin Magnet: The Coin Magnet attracts coins towards your character, making it easier for you to collect them without having to move from side to side. It’s a great way to amass a large number of coins in a short amount of time.
- Power Jumper: This booster propels you into the air, allowing you to collect coins that are higher up and avoid ground-level obstacles.
- Mystery Box: Collecting this booster during your run gives you a random reward, which might include coins, keys, or even other boosters.
- Hoverboard: A unique booster that provides temporary immunity from crashes, giving you a second chance to continue your run.
10 Essential Tips and Tricks for Subway Surfers
Here are ten essential tips and tricks that can help you master the game:
Understand the Controls
Playing Subway Surfers on PC involves using keyboard controls instead of swiping on a screen. The Up arrow key makes your character jump, the Down arrow key allows you to roll, and the Left or Right arrow keys are used for dodging sideways. To activate power-ups or hoverboards, use the Space bar. Spend time familiarizing yourself with these controls and practicing using them effectively to navigate through obstacles.
Power-ups like the Jetpack, Super Sneakers, Coin Magnet, and 2X Multiplier can be upgraded using the coins you collect during your runs. Upgrading these power-ups increases their duration, enhancing your performance significantly. Prioritize upgrading the Jetpack and Coin Magnet first, as they help in collecting more coins and avoiding obstacles.
Strategic Use of Hoverboards
Hoverboards are your second chance in the game. When activated, they protect you from crashes for 30 seconds. If you hit an obstacle while on a hoverboard, you’ll lose the board but continue with your run. Use them when you find it hard to dodge upcoming obstacles or during challenging parts of your run.
Collect Coins and Complete Missions
Collecting coins is crucial in Subway Surfers as they allow you to buy upgrades, power-ups, and new characters. Coins are scattered throughout the game, and collecting them should always be a priority.
In addition to collecting coins, you should also aim to complete missions. Missions are tasks that you can complete to earn extra rewards like keys and score multipliers. They range from simple tasks like “Score 1000 points” to more complex ones like “Jump 20 times.”
Save Your Keys
Keys are another important resource in Subway Surfers. They can be used to revive your character after a crash or unlock special items. However, keys are quite rare, so use them wisely. It’s often better to save your keys for later stages, when the game gets faster and harder.
Stay High on the Trains
Running on top of the trains helps you avoid many ground-level obstacles. It also allows you to collect more coins. Whenever possible, jump onto the trains and stay at a higher level.
The only way to get better at Subway Surfers is to play it regularly. The more you play, the more familiar you’ll become with the game’s mechanics and controls. You’ll also develop a better sense of timing, which is crucial for dodging obstacles.
Participate in Daily Challenges and Events
Subway Surfers offers daily challenges where you have to collect specific letters during your run. Completing these challenges can give you extra rewards. There are also regular events where you can win exclusive prizes. Make sure to participate in these challenges and events whenever you can.
Watch Ads for Extra Rewards
Subway Surfers gives you the option to watch ads in exchange for various rewards, such as extra coins or keys. This can be a good way to boost your resources without having to do much. So, whenever you see the option to watch an ad, go for it!
Additional Tips for Mastering Subway Surfers on PC
Subway Surfers is an exciting game that tests your reflexes and strategic abilities. It’s not just about running endlessly but also about using resources wisely, mastering the controls, and understanding the game mechanics. Playing Subway Surfers on a PC provides a different experience from playing it on a mobile device, but with practice, you can become just as proficient.
Here are a few more tips to keep in mind:
- Use Mystery Boxes: These boxes, which you can purchase with coins or receive as rewards, contain various items such as coins, keys, score boosters, character tokens, and hoverboards. They’re a great way to accumulate resources.
- Unlock Different Characters: Different characters can be unlocked by collecting specific items during your runs. Each character has its unique style, adding a bit of variety to your gameplay.
- Take Advantage of Special Runs: Occasionally, Subway Surfers offers special runs with unique themes and rewards. Participate in these runs whenever they’re available.
- Don’t Waste Your Keys: Keys are precious in Subway Surfers. Don’t use them to continue a run after a crash, especially in the early stages of the game when the pace is slow. Instead, save them for later stages or to unlock special items.
- Don’t Ignore Power-ups: Power-ups can significantly improve your performance in the game. Don’t ignore them when you see them. Try to grab every power-up you come across.
- Don’t Miss Out on Daily Challenges: Daily challenges offer additional rewards. Make sure to check them out every day and try to complete them.
Remember, the key to success in Subway Surfers lies in understanding the game mechanics, practicing regularly, and making strategic use of resources. With patience and practice, you’ll find yourself scoring higher and running farther. Happy surfing on your PC!